Transgender support in New Zealand
Gender Minorities Aotearoa is a nationwide transgender organisation. It is run by and for transgender people; including binary and non-binary, intersex, and irawhiti takatāpui.
We support transgender people of all ages, cultures, and backgrounds, and provide one-to-one peer support and information nationwide.
Our vision is for all transgender people to be empowered by a full range of choices across all aspects of their lives, and to be able to participate fully in society.
We operate within the kaupapa Māori public health framework Te Pae Māhutonga, and The Ottawa Charter (1986). Our aim is to facilitate health and well-being for transgender populations, as defined by The World Health Organisation. This includes complete physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social well-being.
- One-to-one peer support with a professional transgender advocate.
- Peer support by phone & email.
- Health navigation support.
- Support updating identity documents.
- Parents & family support.
- Support for healthcare providers.
- Trans community drop-in.
- Trans community events.
- Online trans support group.
- Healthcare database & referrals.
- Rainbow housing NZ.
- IPL club.
- Legal advice.
- Trans Justice of the Peace.
- Work experience & C.V. support.
- Online courses.
- Trans-positive merchandise.
- Update identity documents.
- Relationships & sex.
- School & study.
- Parents & families.
- Human rights.
- Refugee & asylum seekers.
- Learn about trans people.
“The scope of issues you cover is so broad. Your organization is unique in the world” – Mukasa, International Trans Fund.
How many people we assist
Visits to our website (and 209,000+ views)
Used our trans 101
Used our rainbow housing network
Used our online support group
One-to-one peer supports
Used our main parents resource
Students took our online course
Healthcare workers trained
Thank you to our sponsors
A.W. Newton Bequest – Wellington City Council