Reception: 022 673 7002

Transgender voice therapy

This page outlines ways to go about accessing voice therapy, or vocal therapy.

This is a general overview only – processes can change, and systems do not always operate exactly the way they are planned, so your experience may differ.

Public funded

if voice therapy is funded in your region, the first step is to contact your GP and ask for a referral. In regions where this is available, it’s usually a fairly simple process to access.

You may be asked to fill in a form, which usually asks questions about why you want to access the service and what your voice-related goals are.

Your GP should be able to tell you more.

You can check whether this is funded in your region using our Regional Services (formerly DHB) page, but be aware that this can change at any time so it’s probably worth asking your GP even if it’s not listed as available.


If you intend to self-fund voice therapy, the first step is usually finding voice therapists and contacting them to see if they can take you as a patient, and whether you think they’ll be a good fit for you.

You can start by checking the trans health database here.

WINZ support

If public funded services are not available in your region, and you need support paying for self-funded voice therapy, you may be able to get funding through WINZ. You can find out more about this here.

Resources on modifying your voice

Changing speech – Vancouver Coastal Health, Transcend Transgender Support & Education
Society and Canadian Rainbow Health Coalition (2006)
Finding Your Voice Brochure –Callen Lorde Health Outreach to Teens (HOTT)
Transgender voice and communication: vocal health and considerations – UCSF Transgender Care
Vocal Exercises – TranzForm (2015)

Help support others

If you have a great voice therapist, please recommend them for the trans health database.

If you are a great voice therapist, please register for the trans health database.