Process for amending name and gender changes on a student’s school records

If it is only a gender change a school can change the gender field themselves.

If there is a name change as well, you will need to email the National Student Index Unit (or NSI). This is the place where National Student Numbers are generated at the Ministry of Education. They can be reached by email at or by phone on 04) 463 8000

Inform them of the name change send through the supporting documentation, such as a name change certificate, new birth certificate or a statutory declaration. This is needed because there is a system of matching school enrolments and birth registration records.

One can also contact NZQA directly to get the name/gender changed. They will also require supporting evidence such as a name change certificate, birth certificate or statutory declaration.

Alternatively, it is possible to add a new name as an alternate name, if that is one’s preference.
Qualifications gained under a previous name cannot currently be changed retroactively.