What We Do:
We can assist you to:
» Find a trans-friendly doctor
» Get surgery information
» Get on the list for public funded surgery
» Connect with community support and peers
» Find trans-friendly laser clinics
» Find emergency accommodation
» Get information and resources
Supportive Social Environments
We run the national all ages online support forum Transgender & Intersex NZ – the largest publicly accessible trans support and information forum with an entirely NZ based membership. T&INZ is open to all sex and gender minorities and supportive others in Aotearoa NZ.
We also run face to face meet ups, including fortnightly socials in Wellington, and plan to expand on these.
The Gender Centre
We are soon to open our first drop in Gender Centre in Wellington city. The Gender Centre will be a supportive environment where people can come to connect with our services, receive information, resources, and peer support from other takataapui, trans, and intersex people.
Those in need of welfare assistance will be able to access clothing vouchers and free food once our welfare programme is up and running.
We are also planning weekly events including community building sober social events, movement building discussions and workshops, youth focus events, Maori focus events, and more.
Aunty Dana’s Op Shop (Est. 2017)
Aunty Dana’s Op Shop is our main fundraising activity. All funds raised go toward meeting our objectives as outlined in our kaupapa. This includes covering operational costs, program costs, and personnel costs. We hope to be able to set up The Gender Centre and op shops regionally in the near future.
Aunty Dana’s Op Shop provides an opportunity for takataapui, trans, and intersex people – as well as supportive others – to volunteer, gain work experience, and be part of a supportive social community, as well as providing opportunities to engage with the public on issues affecting transgender, takataapui, and intersex people.
Local Resources & Information
We develop transgender, takataapui and intersex resources which are relevant and useful for those who are from or living in Aotearoa. These are available to download and print from the National Online Resources Database.
- Transgender NZ Issue 1. Hormone Replacement Therapy
- A Third Opinion: Takataapui, Trans, and Intersex Healthcare Tips for Clinicians
- Glossary – Trans Community Words, What They Mean and How to Use Them
- [Mis}representation of Transgender Women in Films
- Space Junk: Tips for Transgender, Takataapui, and Intersex Folks and the People Who Love Us
- Help! Is My Child Transgender?
- Guide to Applying for the Special High Cost Treatment Pool Public Funding
- Media Advocacy Guide
- Transgender Media Guide 101
- Various Research Projects
- Other Resources
National Online Database
We have developed the national online database which links to community organisations and service providers throughout Aotearoa, that are directly recommended by transgender, takataapui, and intersex people. The national database also hosts resources and information for transgender, takataapui, and intersex people, our whanau, friends, schools, service providers, researchers, and wider communities.
In the database you can find:
Medical and Surgical
- medical database, including:
- recommended doctors, endocrinologists, psychologists, and otherhealthcare providers
- surgeons, surgery information, how to apply for public funding for surgeries
- laser clinics, voice work, and other medical needs
- information and forms to change the name and/or gender marker on your birth certificate, passport, drivers licence, and NZQA records
Community and Support
- community support database, including:
- community groups and organisations
- trans-friendly crisis support
- emergency housing
- social and events
Information and Resources
- information resources such as pamphlets, videos, and other great stuff to download
- where possible, these will be our own resources or other local resources
- a huge range of research – where possible, local
- information for healthcare providers, including different medical frameworks, clinical information, sensitivity training resources, and more
Behind the Scenes Projects
We also do a lot of behind the scenes work, such as:
- working on trans health care, both as part of The Sex and Gender Diverse Health Outcomes Working Group, and through presenting, speaking, and other avenues
- collaborating with community organisations like New Zealand Prostitutes’ Collective and InsideOUT
- being part of community projects such as Takataapui, Part of the Whanau
- working on research projects, for example this study on rainbow mental health, and ”In Our Own Words” – the first fully gender minority inclusive research report on sexual violence in this country
- information about what we do and how you can get involved
- to receive our newsletter, click on this link. We will send you news, updates, and special offers
- if you would like be kept up to date with opportunities to volunteer, you can sign up for our volunteers newsletter by clicking here
- come volunteer in Aunty Dana’s Op Shop! Fill in our shop shift form here