Identification and Official Documents

Up to date, step by step information for changing your name and gender marker on your identity documents and other records.

Tip: If you simply want identification with your chosen name and gender marker, the easiest way is to:

1. Change the name on your birth certificate
2. Use the updated birth certificate to get a passport with your chosen name and gender marker

This is because you can choose the gender marker on a passport, whereas changing the gender marker on a birth certificate is a more complicated process

Birth Certificate Name Change

Passports – the Easy Gender Marker Change

Drivers Licence

NZQA /School Record Changes

Birth Certificate Gender Marker Change

Department of Internal Affairs Information for Transgender Applicants

Financial Assistance

© Gender Minorities Aotearoa 2016