Thanks in part to the activism and political advocacy of a number of individual trans people and some community organisations, the Ministry of Social Development has carried out community consultation and added a ‘gender diverse’ option to their systems.

You can choose whether to use male, female, or gender diverse, just the same way you can choose ethnicity – with no supporting documentation. You do not need to change your birth certificate or other ID to changer your gender marker with MSD.

It is free to update your details with MSD, and if you are currently getting support from MSD (Work and Income/WINZ, and StudyLink), you can update your gender marker in person or by calling WINZ 0800 559 009 or StudyLink 0800 88 99 00